Arch To Arc 2010 - following us live!

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Thursday 27 May 2010

Ironman? Decaman? Or MichelinMan? (By Julian)

At the TriClub each Sunday, everyone discusses what marathon, half Ironman, Ironman or Decaman they are planning next. To do a marathon, you need to be fit. To contemplate an Ironman, you need to be seriously fit. And to do a Decaman, you need to be really, really, really fit - and completely certifiably mad!

So what do you need to be to do the Arch To Arc? I thought about that as I stumbled around my little 1 hour hill climb, wincing at every right step (I think I may have microfractured something in the ball of my foot...). It turns out there are quite a lot of right steps in a 1 hour run!

The main challenge of the Arch To Arc is clearly the swim. With no wetsuit, the cold water is the major hurdle...and it is a major advantage to have a few layers of natural insulation (read - subcutaneous fat).

Then after the swim, you have to ride a bike for hours - avoiding punctures in your tyres. Rolls of fat. Tyres. The only name that really fits this event is "MichelinMan".

So to make it really work - this "MichelinMan" event - I think we will have to run, swim, cycle and then dine...at a 3 Michelin Star restaurant. We will need to replace some fat after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment