Arch To Arc 2010 - following us live!

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Saturday 3 July 2010

Swimmer #2 Julian takes over from Andy pleased that a little light is entering the sky

Julian says: “I attached the red flashing button to my googles and the green stick to my trunks – looks like I am planning to land a small plane rather than go swimming. Although for my swim it is a bit academic since the sun is rising by the time I have finished. The water felt cold – but not as unbearably as in the harbour during training. But the body is tired and struggles more to generate the heat. However I strike out as fast as I can – trying desperately to remember how many I used to count to 15 minutes. Eventually I establish by trial and error that it is about 400 for 15 minutes. By counting I distract my mind and don’t spend every minute looking at my watch – on previous swims, I wasn’t allowed the distraction and it can be if you start looking every 2 minutes.

When I finish, it is straight downstairs – another novelty but the wind is so light that the boat is not rocking too much. I move the bags and make myself a bed…and it is head down for a few hours. My tooth kicks in after about 15 minutes and lasts 30 minutes…it is so, so painful. I am definitely giving up this cold water swimming – soon, very soon!”

No comments:

Post a Comment